AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 Exam Learning Path
AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 exam is the latest AWS exam and would replace the old Developer – Associate exam. It basically validates
- Demonstrate an understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices.
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS.
AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 Summary
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 exam is quite different from the previous one with more focus on the hands-on development and deployment concepts rather then just the architectural concepts
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 exam covers a lot of latest AWS services like Lambda, X-Ray while focusing majorly on other services like DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, EC2
- Be sure to cover the following topics
- Understand what AWS services you can use to build a serverless architecture?
- Make sure you know and understand Lambda and serverless architecture, its features and use cases.
- Know Lambda limits for e.g. execution time, deployable zipped and unzipped package limit
- Be sure to know how to deploy, package using Lambda.
- Understand tracing of Lambda functions using X-Ray
- Understand integration of Lambda with CloudWatch.
- Understand how to handle multiple releases using Alias
- Know AWS Step Functions to manage Lambda functions flow
- Understand Lambda with API Gateway
- Understand API Gateway stages, ability to cater to different environments for e.g. dev, test, prod
- Understand EC2 as a whole
- Understand EC2 Metadata & Userdata. Whats the use of each? How to look up instance data after it is launched.
- Understand EC2 Security. How IAM Role work with EC2 instances.
- Understand how does EC2 evaluates the order of credentials, when multiple are provided. Remember the order – Environment variables -> Java system properties -> Default credential profiles file -> ECS container credentials -> Instance Profile credentials
- Know Elastic Beanstalk at a high level, what it provides and its ability to get an application running quickly
- Understand Elastic Beanstalk configurations and deployment types with their advantages and disadvantages
- Understand relational and NoSQLs data storage options which include RDS, DynamoDB and their use cases
- Understand DynamoDB Secondary Indexes
- Make sure you understand DynamoDB provisioned throughput for Read/Writes and its calculations
- Make sure you understand DynamoDB Consistency Model – difference between Strongly Consistent and Eventual Consistency
- Understand DynamoDB with its low latency performance, DAX
- Know how to configure fine grained security for DynamoDB table, items, attributes
- Understand DynamoDB Best Practices regarding
- table design
- provisioned throughput
- Query vs Scan operations
- improving Scan operation performance
- Understand RDS features – Read Replicas for scalability, Multi-AZ for High Availability
- Know ElastiCache use cases, mainly for caching performance
- Understand ElastiCache Redis vs Memcached
- Understand IAM as a whole
- Focus on IAM role and its use case especially with EC2 instance
- Know how to test and validate IAM policies
- Understand IAM identity providers and federation and use cases
- Understand how AWS Cognito works and what features it provides
- Understand MFA and How would implement two factor authentication for your application
- Understand KMS for key management and envelope encryption
- Know what services support KMS
- Remember SQS, Kinesis now provides SSE support
- Focus on S3 with SSE, SSE-C, SSE-KMS. How they work and differ?
- Know how can you enforce only buckets to only accept encrypted objects
- Know various KMS encryption options encrypt, reencrypt, generateEncryptedDataKey etc
- Know how KMS impacts performance of the services
- Management Tools
- Integration Tools
- Understand SQS as message queuing service and SNS as pub/sub notification service
- Understand SQS features like visibility, long poll vs short poll
- Focus on SQS as a decoupling service
- AWS has released SQS FIFO, make sure you know the differences between standard and FIFO
- Know the different development and deployment tools like CodeCommit, CodeBuild, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline
- Does not cover much on networking or designing of networks, but be sure you understand VPC, Subnets, Routes, Security Groups etc.
AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 Exam Resources
- None of the courses actually cover the topics completely and are in the process of being updated. You need to make sure you cover the latest services in details esp. Lambda, API Gateway, X-Ray
- Online courses
- Udemy AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate Exam Mastery 2018 – can be a good start to other services
- A Cloud Guru – AWS Certified Developer – Associate 2018
- Linux Academy – AWS Certified Developer – Associate (2018)
- Stephane Maarek – Ultimate AWS Certified Developer Associate 2019 – NEW! – Best Seller
- Practice tests
- Braincert AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 Practice Exams, which provide extensive scenario based questions and are inline with the actual exams
- I have limited 50% OFF discount coupons for Udemy AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 Practice Exams
- Signed up with AWS for the Free Tier account which provides a lot of the Services to be tried for free with certain limits which are more then enough to get things going. Be sure to decommission anything, if you using any thing beyond the free limits, preventing any surprises 🙂
- Also, use QwikLabs for introductory courses which are free
- Read the FAQs atleast for the important topics, as they cover important points and are good for quick review
AWS Cloud Computing Whitepapers
- Architecting for the AWS Cloud: Best Practices
- AWS Well-Architected Framework whitepaper (This is theoretical paper, with loads of theory and is tiresome. If you cover the above topics, you can skip this one)
- AWS Security Best Practices whitepaper, August 2016
- Practicing Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery on AWS Accelerating Software Delivery with DevOps whitepaper, June 2017
- Microservices on AWS whitepaper, September 2017
- Serverless Architectures with AWS Lambda whitepaper, November 2017
- Optimizing Enterprise Economics with Serverless Architectures whitepaper, October 2017
- Running Containerized Microservices on AWS whitepaper, November 2017
- Blue/Green Deployments on AWS whitepaper, August 2016
AWS Certified Developer – Associate DVA-C01 Exam Contents
Domain 1: Deployment
- Deploy written code in AWS using existing CI/CD pipelines, processes, and patterns.
- Deploy applications using Elastic Beanstalk.
- Prepare the application deployment package to be deployed to AWS.
- Deploy serverless applications.
Domain 2: Security
- Make authenticated calls to AWS services.
- Implement encryption using AWS services.
- Implement application authentication and authorization.
Domain 3: Development with AWS Services
- Write code for serverless applications.
- Translate functional requirements into application design.
- Implement application design into application code.
- Write code that interacts with AWS services by using APIs, SDKs, and AWS CLI.
Domain 4: Refactoring
- Optimize application to best use AWS services and features.
- Migrate existing application code to run on AWS.
Domain 5: Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Write code that can be monitored.
- Perform root cause analysis on faults found in testing or production.