I recently cleared the AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality (ANS-C00), which was my first, enroute my path to the AWS Speciality certifications. Frankly, I feel the time I gave for preparation was still not enough, but I just about managed to get through. So a word of caution, this exam is inline or more tough than the professional exam especially for the reason that the Networking concepts it covers are not something you can get your hands dirty with easily.
AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality (ANS-C00) exam is the focusing on the AWS Networking concepts. It basically validates
- Design, develop, and deploy cloud-based solutions using AWS
Implement core AWS services according to basic architecture best practices
- Design and maintain network architecture for all AWS services
- Leverage tools to automate AWS networking tasks
AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality (ANS-C00) Exam Summary
- AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality exam covers a lot of Networking concepts like VPC, VPN, Direct Connect, Route 53, ALB, NLB.
- One of the key tactic I followed when solving the DevOps Engineer questions was to read the question and use paper and pencil to draw a rough architecture and focus on the areas that you need to improve. Trust me, you will be able eliminate 2 answers for sure and then need to focus on only the other two. Read the other 2 answers to check the difference area and that would help you reach to the right answer or atleast have a 50% chance of getting it right.
- Be sure to cover the following topics
- Networking & Content Delivery
- You should know everything in Networking.
- Understand VPC in depth
- Understand VPC, Subnets
- Know that AWS allows you to extend your VPC by adding a secondary VPC (hint: focus on the IP limitations that you can assign to a created VPC)
- Understand Security Groups, NACLs (Hint : know NACLs are stateless and how it is reflected in VPC Flow Logs)
- Understand DHCP Option Sets esp. how to resolve DNS from both on-premises data center and AWS.
- Understand VPC Peering, configuration and its limitations (Hint: try it yourself esp. cross account ones to know whats needed)
- Understand Placement Groups, Enhanced Networking
- Understand VPC Endpoints esp. services supported by Gateway and Interface Endpoints. Interface Endpoints are also called Private Links.
- Know Transit VPC and its use case
- Know CloudHub and its use case
- Virtual Private Network to establish connectivity between on-premises data center and AWS VPC
- Direct Connect to establish connectivity between on-premises data center and AWS VPC and Public Services
- Make sure you understand Direct Connect in detail, without this you cannot clear the exam
- Understand Direct Connect connections – Dedicated and Hosted connections
- Understand how to create a Direct Connect connection (hint: LOA-CFA provides the details for partner to connect to AWS Direct Connect location)
- Understand virtual interfaces options – Private Virtual Interface for VPC resources and Public Virtual Interface for Public resources
- Understand setup Private and Public VIF
- Understand Route Propagation, propagation priority, BGP connectivity
- Understand High Availability options based on cost and time i.e. Second Direct Connect connection OR VPN connection
- Understand Direct Connect Gateway – it provides a way to connect to multiple VPCs from on-premises data center using the same Direct Connect connection
- Route 53
- Understand CloudFront and use cases
- Load Balancer
- Understand ELB, ALB and NLB
- Understand the difference ELB, ALB and NLB esp. ALB provides Content, Host and Path based Routing while NLB provides the ability to have static IP address
- Know how to design VPC CIDR block with NLB (Hint – minimum number of IPs required are 8)
- Know how to pass original Client IP to the backend instances (Hint – X-Forwarded-for and Proxy Protocol)
- Know WorkSpaces requirements and setup
- Monitoring & Management Tools
- Integration Tools
- Whitepapers and articles
- Networking & Content Delivery
AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality (ANS-C00) Exam Resources
- Online Courses
- Linux Academy – AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality [Recommended] Although it does not cover all the topics
- Practice tests
- Braincert AWS Certified Advanced Networking – Speciality Practice Exams [Recommended]