AWS Route 53 Alias vs CNAME
- Route 53 Alias records are similar to CNAME records, but there are some important differences.
- Supported Resources
- Alias records support selected AWS resources
- Elastic Load Balancers
- CloudFront distributions
- API Gateway
- Elastic Beanstalk
- S3 Website
- Global Accelerator
- VPC Interface Endpoints
- Route 53 record in the same hosted zone
- CNAME record can redirect DNS queries to any DNS record
- Zone Apex or Root domain like
- Alias record supports mapping Zone Apex records
- CNAME record does not support Zone Apex records
- Route 53 doesn’t charge for alias queries to AWS resources
- Route 53 charges for CNAME queries.
- Record Type
- Alias records only support A or AAAA record types
- CNAME record redirects DNS queries for a record name regardless of the record type specified in the DNS query, such as A or AAAA.
AWS Certification Exam Practice Questions
- Questions are collected from Internet and the answers are marked as per my knowledge and understanding (which might differ with yours).
- AWS services are updated everyday and both the answers and questions might be outdated soon, so research accordingly.
- AWS exam questions are not updated to keep up the pace with AWS updates, so even if the underlying feature has changed the question might not be updated
- Open to further feedback, discussion and correction.
- Which of the following statements are true about Amazon Route 53 resource records? Choose 2 answers
- An Alias record can map one DNS name to another Amazon Route 53 DNS name.
- A CNAME record can be created for your zone apex.
- An Amazon Route 53 CNAME record can point to any DNS record hosted anywhere.
- TTL can be set for an Alias record in Amazon Route 53.
- An Amazon Route 53 Alias record can point to any DNS record hosted anywhere.
- How can the domain’s zone apex for example “myzoneapexdomain com” be pointed towards an Elastic Load Balancer?
- By using an AAAA record
- By using an A record
- By using an Amazon Route 53 CNAME record
- By using an Amazon Route 53 Alias record