AWS Data Migration Service – DMS
- AWS Database Migration Service enables quick and secure data migration
- AWS Database Migration Service helps migration to AWS with virtually no downtime. Source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database.
- AWS Database Migration Service can migrate data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases.
- AWS Database Migration Service supports homogeneous migrations such as Oracle to Oracle, as well as heterogeneous migrations between different database platforms, such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server to Aurora.
- AWS Database Migration Service enables continuous data replication with high availability and consolidate databases into a petabyte-scale data warehouse by streaming data to Redshift and S3.
- AWS Database Migration Service is highly resilient and self–healing.
- AWS DMS continually monitors source and target databases, network connectivity, and the replication instance.
- In case of interruption, DMS automatically restarts the process and continues the migration from where it was halted.
- DMS supports Multi-AZ option to provide high-availability for database migration and continous data replication by enabling redundant replication instances.
DMS Replication Instance
- A DMS replication instance performs the actual data migration between source and target.
- Replication instance also caches the transaction logs during the migration
- CPU and memory capacity of the replication instance influences the overall time required for the migration.
AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- AWS Schema Conversion Tool makes heterogeneous database migrations by automatically converting the source database schema and a majority of the database code objects, including views, stored procedures, and functions, to a format compatible with the target database.
- DMS and SCT work in conjunction to both migrate databases and support ongoing replication for a variety of uses such as populating datamarts, synchronizing systems, etc.
- SCT can copy database schemas for homogeneous migrations and convert them for heterogeneous migrations.
- SCT clearly marks any objects that cannot be automatically converted so that they can be manually converted to complete the migration.
- SCT can scan the application source code for embedded SQL statements and convert them as part of a database schema conversion project.
- SCT performs cloud native code optimization by converting legacy Oracle and SQL Server functions to their equivalent AWS service thus helping modernize the applications at the same time of database migration.
- Once schema conversion is complete, SCT can help migrate data from a range of data warehouses to Redshift using built-in data migration agents.
AWS Certification Exam Practice Questions
- Questions are collected from Internet and the answers are marked as per my knowledge and understanding (which might differ with yours).
- AWS services are updated everyday and both the answers and questions might be outdated soon, so research accordingly.
- AWS exam questions are not updated to keep up the pace with AWS updates, so even if the underlying feature has changed the question might not be updated
- Open to further feedback, discussion and correction.
- Which AWS service would simplify migration of a database to AWS?
- AWS Storage Gateway
- AWS Database Migration Service (AWS DMS)
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
- Amazon AppStream 2.0