EC2 Enhanced Networking
- Enhanced networking results in higher bandwidth, higher packet per second (PPS) performance, lower latency, consistency, scalability and lower jitter
- EC2 provides enhanced networking capabilities using single root I/O virtualization (SR-IOV) only on supported instance types
- SR-IVO is a method of device virtualization which provides higher I/O performance and lower CPU utilization
- Amazon Linux AMIs and Windows Server 2012 R2 AMI already have the module installed with the attributes set and does not require any additional configurations.
- It can be enabled for other OS distributions by installing the module with the correct attributes configured
Enhanced Networking Key Requirements
- VPC, as enhanced networking can’t be enabled for instance in EC2-Classic
- an HVM virtualization type AMI
- Instance kernel version
- Linux kernel version of 2.6.32+
- Windows: Server 2008 R2+
- Appropriate Virtual Function (VF) driver
- Linux – should have the ixgbevf module (for best performance version 2.14.2 or higher) installed and that sriovNetSupport attribute set for the instance
- Windows- Intel 82599 Virtual Function driver
- supported instance types i.e. C3, C4, D2, I2, M4 and R3
AWS Certification Exam Practice Questions
- Questions are collected from Internet and the answers are marked as per my knowledge and understanding (which might differ with yours).
- AWS services are updated everyday and both the answers and questions might be outdated soon, so research accordingly.
- AWS exam questions are not updated to keep up the pace with AWS updates, so even if the underlying feature has changed the question might not be updated
- Open to further feedback, discussion and correction.
- You have multiple Amazon EC2 instances running in a cluster across multiple Availability Zones within the same region. What combination of the following should be used to ensure the highest network performance (packets per second), lowest latency, and lowest jitter? Choose 3 answers
- Amazon EC2 placement groups (would not work for multiple AZs)
- Enhanced networking (provides network performance, lowest latency)
- Amazon PV AMI (Requires HVM)
- Amazon HVM AMI (Requires HVM)
- Amazon Linux (Can be on others as well)
- Amazon VPC (works only in VPC, can’t enable enhanced networking if the instance is in EC2-Classic)
- A group of researchers is studying the migration pattern of a beetle that eats and destroys gram. The researchers must process massive amounts of data and run statistics. Which one of the following options provides the high performance computing for this purpose.
- Configure an Autoscaling Scaling group to launch dozens of spot instances to run the statistical analysis simultaneously
- Launch AMI instances that support SR-IOV in a single Availability Zone
- Launch compute optimized (C4) instances in at least two Availability Zones
- Launch enhanced network type instances in a placement group