- Amazon Detective makes it easy to analyze, investigate, and quickly identify the root cause of potential security issues or suspicious activities.
- automatically collects log data from the AWS resources and uses machine learning, statistical analysis, and graph theory to build a linked set of data to easily conduct faster and more efficient security investigations.
- enables customers to view summaries and analytical data associated with CloudTrail logs, EKS audit logs, VPC Flow Logs.
- provides detailed summaries, analysis, and visualizations of the behaviors and interactions amongst your AWS accounts, EC2 instances, AWS users, roles, and IP addresses.
- maintains up to a year of aggregated data and makes it easily available through a set of visualizations that shows changes in the type and volume of activity over a selected time window, and links those changes to security findings.
- is a Regional service and needs to be enabled on a region-by-region basis. This ensures all data analyzed is regionally based and doesn’t cross AWS regional boundaries.
- requires Amazon GuardDuty to be enabled on the accounts for at least 48 hours before you enable Detective on those accounts.
- is a multi-account service that aggregates data from monitored member accounts under a single administrative account within the same region.
- Multi-account monitoring deployments can be configured in the same way it is configured for administrative and member accounts in Amazon GuardDuty and AWS Security Hub.
- has no impact on the performance or availability of the AWS infrastructure since it retrieves the log data and findings directly from the AWS services.
Amazon Detective vs GuardDuty
- Amazon GuardDuty is a threat detection service that continuously monitors malicious activity and unauthorized behavior to protect AWS accounts and workloads.
- Amazon Detective simplifies the process of investigating security findings and identifying the root cause. It automatically creates a graph model and provides a unified, interactive view of your resources, users, and the interactions between them over time.
AWS Certification Exam Practice Questions
- Questions are collected from Internet and the answers are marked as per my knowledge and understanding (which might differ with yours).
- AWS services are updated everyday and both the answers and questions might be outdated soon, so research accordingly.
- AWS exam questions are not updated to keep up the pace with AWS updates, so even if the underlying feature has changed the question might not be updated
- Open to further feedback, discussion and correction.