AWS recommends the following to get maximum benefit and satisfaction from EC2
Security & Network
- Implement the least permissive rules for your security group.
- Regularly patch, update, and secure the operating system and applications on your instance
- Launch your instances into a VPC instead of EC2-Classic (If aws account is newly created VPC is used by default)
- Manage access to AWS resources and APIs using identity federation, IAM users, and IAM roles
- Establish credential management policies and procedures for creating, distributing, rotating, and revoking AWS access credentials
- EC2 supports Instance store and EBS volumes, so its best to understand the implications of the root device type for data persistence, backup, and recovery
- Use separate Amazon EBS volumes for the operating system (root device) versus your data.
- Ensure that the data volume (with your data) persists after instance termination
- Use the instance store available for your instance to only store temporary data. (Remember that the data stored in instance store is deleted when you stop or terminate your instance)
- If you use instance store for database storage, ensure that you have a cluster with a replication factor that ensures fault tolerance.
- Use instance metadata and custom resource tags to track and identify your AWS resources
- View your current limits for Amazon EC2. Plan to request any limit increases in advance of the time that you’ll need them.
Backup & Recovery
- Regularly back up your instance using Amazon EBS snapshots (not done automatically) or a backup tool.
- Implement High Availability by deploying critical components of the application across multiple Availability Zones, and replicate the data appropriately
- Monitor and respond to events.
- Design your applications to handle dynamic IP addressing when your instance restarts.
- Implement failover. For a basic solution, you can manually attach a network interface or Elastic IP address to a replacement instance
- Regularly test the process of recovering your instances and Amazon EBS volumes if they fail.